Saturday, May 28, 2005

Jonathan Bennette over at Ancient and Future Catholic Musings discusses Hope

Check it out here

It's too easy to forget that Hope is a gift:

this strength to hope does not depend on our own power, but the grace of the Holy Spirit. In fact, hope is not merely a virtue, but what is called a theological virtue and is "infused," not something we can earn.

Hope is called theological because it not only leads us toward God, but also because Christian hope comes only from God. Hope, like faith and love, are infused by God into the souls of his children as a gift.

Honestly, I struggle with this. When presented with the metaphor of "pray to God, but row to shore" I often swing between extremes of frantic work or frantic prayer. One without the other does not allow me to receive the infusion of Hope that the Holy Spirit gives, however.

I pray for the grace to more consistently pray and work together, so that I can more fully live in the Hope that he gives.