Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Fr. Gassalasca Jape, S.J. Says

Tag! I'm it!

Why, the book meme has finally come my way. I ignored Jimmy Akin's bold cast-aside of the rules, and I still got tagged. It's destiny!

Anyways, here it goes:

1. How many books have I owned?

It's hard to say. Perhaps 500 come to mind. Unless you count comic books and graphic novels. In that case, better make it closer to 800. I know, I know, oh so literary for an aspiring writer. Especially when I see people that have owned entire library collections! As for what they're worth, that's anyone's guess. Why do I have so few? These days I tend to borrow more than buy. Which brings me to:

2. What was the last book you bought.

That's easy because I bought it today. It's Listening to Truth: Praying Our Way to Virtue, by James Keating. Before that, it was here. now. a catholic guide to the good life, by Amy Welborn. Moving right along, I come to

3. The last book that you've read.

Basic Economics: A citizens guide to the Economy. Notice that the link takes you to the revised and expanded version, which I did not read. Poe folk like me wait for the library to get it, remember? I finished Amy Welborn's book before that. Currently, I'm reading James Keating's book, as well as the wonderama that is St. Blog's.

4. 5 books that have meant a lot to you.

That would be:

* The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien.
* The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis
* The Everlasting Man, by G.K. Chesterton
* here. now. a catholic guide to the good life, by Amy Welborn
* The 8th Habit by Stephan Covey

A little word on this last book. I'm among the organizationally challenged. When I translated his generic spirituality-in-the-boardroom rhetoric into a framework more amenable to Catholic Tradition, I developed quite the concept map for organizing and putting into the practice the heart of my vocation. Any tool that helps me live a holier life I will put to that use. Besides, God, in his everlasting sense of humor, keeps dropping books like these on my path whenever I'm a disgruntled mess! Who am I to argue?

5. Tag five people that haven't played yet.

Well, well, well! Who will be my next victims? Hmmm? Alright:

Musings of a Catholic Convert
Faithful Catholic Professionals
Ales Rarus
Contemplata aliis Tradere
The Anchoress