Monday, August 22, 2005

WYD round-up

Amy Welborn has an excellent round-up of WYD coverage.

I admit it: I haven't followed WYD a great deal. This is not such a big deal. I haven't followed other WYDs a great deal, either. I can't explain why, really. WYD delights me; I'm reassured that so many young people value their Faith so much that they attend in masse. But as for my personal connection to it; well, let's just say I missed the ship.

The closest participation to a WYD-esque event that I ever took part in was Young NY. I was a volunteer with St. Augustine's Church Youth Ministry, God's T.Y.M. They had brought about twenty-thirty kids there. John Cardinal O'Connor joined the masses of young Archdiocese of NY Catholics that celebrated. As I recall, it took place on the same weekend as the first reunion of the legendary Woostock Festival.

Having said all this, however, I'm touched by WYD, nonetheless. The young are always the future of our world. For the young to fill the streets of Cologne as participants in a pilgrimage fills me with hope for our future. This particular WYD also sends the world a powerful message: the enthusiasm for the Faith first encouraged among the young by John Paul the Great was not the fruit of a cult of personality. It is the first fruits of a genuine relationship between the young and Christ. Pope Benedict XVI may be no Pope John Paul the Great. The young do not appear to mind; Benedict is the Vicar of Christ. That is enough.

Because, in the end, WYD is not about the Pope. It's not even about the young. It's about Christ. These young pilgrims have made it clear that they love Christ through the Church, not because of any one man, however holy he may be. Thus, their enthusiasm does not wane because their beloved JPG no longer celebrates with them. No, their enthusiasm grows as their Faith in Christ grows.

The world witnessed this if the world paid attention. That many may not is nothing new. Those that did may take heart in understanding this: The joy of the young in their relationship with Christ becomes stronger every day. They manifest that hope we all may aspire to in Christ. Praise God for their witness. May we all bear witness to this same hope in our own lives. However connected, or not, they may be with WYD.