Monday, December 19, 2005

Catholic Pillow Fight Stands Alone

Tony Miller of Catholic Pillow Fight is hopping mad, and he's not going to take it anymore! If anyone has a problem with contemporary Liturgical music, they'd better go through Tony:
Yes, gentle readers who are plagued by Bad Catholic Music™, You now have a Super Hero in your corner. Liturgical Music Expert Man!!!

What?!?!?! You have good Catholic Music at your parish and You got a visit from Liturgical Music Expert Man anyway? Well... You obviously don't know the difference between good Catholic music and Bad Catholic Music™. Liturgical Music Expert Man knows. How does he know? Has he pursued Catholic Church documents with regard to divine workship? Does he have advanced liturgical training? No... He just uses his super power to simply know Bad Catholic Music™ when he hears it.
OK, I admit it. I don't have a dog in the Liturgical music fight. I don't get nautious every time a Marty Haugen hymn arises from the cantor's lips. Nor do I bow down and worship at the feet of David Hass. While I would enjoy hearing some four-part choral arrangements of some Latin classics, I'm not prepared to flame the Mass that doesn't incorporate them.

My standard of liturgical music can be inferred from this question: Does the music of a particular celebration move me to greater participation in the sacrifice of the mass? Or does it distract and divide me from the Lord through an over-emphasis on it's own quirkiness, or the perfomance factor of the choir/cantor/whatever? If it's the former, then I'm down with it. If it's the former, then I'm done with it.

Keep fighting the good fight, Tony! You're bound to change someone's mind, soon!