Monday, May 30, 2005

A look at the challenges of evangelizing teenagers

We the Church have a long way to go if this article represents the norm.

Teens like Angie Casebolt require a different kind of evangelization:

The 19-year-old NKU student was raised Catholic but fell away from the church during her teenage years because she felt "forced into" religion - and she has no plans to return to an institution she views as outdated and rigid.

"I try to be a good person. I think that if there is a heaven - you never know - that if I'm a good person, it doesn't mean I have to go to church every week. It doesn't mean I have to go to church at all," she said. "I don't really relate with it very much. It's kind of funny: people go to church and then as soon as they're leaving church, they're fighting for spots in the parking lot, to get out of the parking lot quicker. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me."

She would like to see the church accept female priests and relax its conservative positions on abortion and other social issues. But she's doesn't see that happening.


Formation appears to be a challenge in Dioceses everywhere. Here in NY, formation in my parents generation was as rule-centered as you can imagine--DO THIS DON"T DO THAT. My generation experienced the "GOD IS LOVE" mantra without the fullness of context required to live that reality in relationship. I developed in my own formation after College, even though I went to Catholic Schools for 12 years--and High School with the Salesians!

Dr. Christian Smith of the National Study of Youth and Religion touches on the kind of change in formation that today's teens may need:

"Rethinking basic commitment to and programs for youth is key. Adults intentionally building relationships with teens is key. Investment by the church at multiple levels is important. (And) more intentional and creative teaching and higher expectations of youth is important, I believe."

The bottom line is that everyone growing up in the Faith needs to experience relationship with the Lord in the midst of His People, the Church. If they don't experience this vibrant reality in both formal catechism and daily family life, then they'll join the ranks of the Angie Casebolts.