Monday, June 27, 2005

Finally, tonight I leave you with good news:

Some Have Hats says, "Yes, there IS a good priest in L.A." Read about him here. Ms. Hall relates a comment from Amy Welborn's Open Book, in which the commentor observed the good priest address the identity of the Eucharist with his "congregation":

Last week you reported a survey of Catholics saying on only 40-something % still believe in the real presence. Well, this Sunday our Father Willy Raymond polled the congregation. He reviewed all three questions first. Then he asked, "who thinks the Eucharist is a great symbol?" One person raised their hand. Next, "does anyone think it's more of a 'memorial'?" Another single congregant raised his hand. Father Willy was stunned at this point, since the only question left was "who thinks Christ is truly present in the Eucharist, that it is the body and blood of our Lord?" To that question about 600 raised their hands. Father Willy smiled and stared at them for the longest moment.

We're talking Los Angeles. Worse, the West side. St. Monica's to be exact. 600 to 2. We're talking the "youth friendly mass." Teenagers mostly. Graduates of Catholic Religious Education. 600 to 2.

I'd like to say our Religious Education is pretty good, but I'm more inclined to attribute this to the tears of St. Monica. That's what brought me in the Church.


I remember how joyful the estranged Cursillista was that day. It was the third day of the Fall Men's Cursillo. We were between Rollos, and I had an opportunity to go to Graymoor's bookstore. While browsing, I encountered him. He looked like he was in his fifties. Since I had come in with some candidates, he had asked me what group I came with.

"Cursillo," I explained.

"Oh." His eyes dropped.

I asked him what his experience had been. Instead, he asked me what exactly were we learning about the Faith. I only got as far as explaining about the "Real Presence" when he smiled.

"Good. You give me hope then."

He had been introduced to the circus Catholicism that swept through the States after Vatican II. The scandal of seeing so many traditions thrown out of worship like used refuse had broken his heart. The annihilation of doctrine that occured along with the tradition-trashing strained his face. That's why he had hope when he heard the words Real Presence. Suddenly, the younger generations were being formed in the Faith once again, not the jumble of half-baked concoctions a bunch of misguided litergists and catechists cooked up.

Fr. Raymond sounds like a beacon that makes sure everyone sees the light. To even address the Real Presence has become something of a rarity; to have it addressed in Mahony's backyard? There's daring evangelization for you! Send more like him, Lord.

Hat tip to L.A. Catholic for the heads-up!