Monday, September 26, 2005

A Penitent Blogger on "The Return of the City"

Penitens over at A Penitent Blogger understands the importance of prayer:
Thus says the LORD:
I will return to Zion,
and I will dwell within Jerusalem;
Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city,
and the mountain of the LORD of hosts,
the holy mountain....

They shall be my people,
and I will be their God,
with faithfulness and justice.


This prophecy will be most perfectly realized at the end of time, in the heavenly Jerusalem, but it also can be very relevant for our own spiritual lives today.

In one sense, the city of Jerusalem can be seen as a metaphor for our life of prayer.

Like the ancients, we may have let our internal city fall into decay. The internal city of our prayer life may have grown so weak that it is easily overwhelmed by outside forces that capture our attention and carry our thoughts far away from God.

Indeed, just as in the time of the Babylonian exile, it may have been years since we really, really prayed – with faithfulness and justice – as we were meant to.

Then, when we return to that inner sanctum of prayer, we find little but dust and the shards of past glory.

If we find ourselves in such deserted, devastated place in our life of prayer, we must not despair.

It may seem impossible for us to get back on track, but it is not impossible for God.

If, like the exiles of old, we remain faithful and patient, in his own time the Lord will bring us back, bestowing on us the riches of his grace that will restore our internal cities of prayer to wonderful life.
When I attended a Day by Day Agape weekend as an adult observer, Bob Krug gave a lay witness talk to the teen boys on the weekend. During his wonderful address, he roared these words like thunder upon the hills:
"Never underestimate the power of prayer!"
Unfortunately, I do. Quite often. Too often.

I forget these words. Then, I forget to pray. Then, I face the fear that has stalked me all of my days. I face it alone because I have withdrawn from the One that longs to stand by my side. I look into deep into it, and it stares right back. It's Nothing. I'm afraid of nothing. I fear that my very efforts to lead the life God wants me to live will result in Nothing. I fear my own failure. I fear the continuous dissolution of my days until all I have left are my regrets. And haunted memories. And the shame of what might-have-been.

And the scars of scandal from the sins of my family, ripped into my being by their terrible woundedness.

All this I face when I underestimate the power of prayer.

However, I need not always make that decision.

Indeed, I can recall Mr. Krug's prophecy and place my faith in him to whom I pray. He answers! He stands at my side, ready to fight the abyss that threatens to engulf me. Suddenly, I realize that the seemingly endless darkness of Nothing can't stand the light. He contradicts the absence with his Presence. I can laugh and sing in joy, for my labors will bear fruit because they grow from my faith in him! Failure can't be an option, and therefore I no longer fear it. For he has not come to suggest or ask me not to fear. He commands me, "Be not afraid!" And I don't ever need to be. Ever. Even of my regrets. Even of my missed opportunities and turn-arounds. Even of my faltered steps and misplaced hopes. Even of the scars from sins long since forgiven by people long since healed.

God comes to us when we welcome him. Open your hearts to him, then, you stiff-necked people! Offer him the deepest longings of your heart, and he will give you peace. Pray, and find his life grows within you! Then you may become a sign of his love for us all. Share his light, then, and make his joy--and your own--complete.

Penitens understands that our faith begins and ends in prayer. We should follow his counsel. The Lord awaits us. What are we waiting for?