Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Stand Up and Speak Out Once Again: Katelyn on "The Truth About My Immediate Dismissal"

Hat tip to De Civitae Dei.

Katelyn Sills of Stand Up and Speak Out presents her family's side of their dispute with her former High School, Loretto. In doing so, they also demonstrate the Loretto Administration's pathetic attempt to live out anything even close to a Catholic identity.

Behold:
there were three pieces of "evidence" for my expulsion. I would like to discuss all of them below.

1. The first "piece of evidence" as reason for expulsion was that there was an "email from Wynette Sills threatening Sister Helen with the disruption of Open House." Here are the emails between my mom and Sister Helen about Ms. Bain teaching at Loretto and the events in between. Because Sister Helen has refused to meet with us or return our phone calls, these emails are our only communication with Sister Helen. These are all of the emails. Nothing in these emails has been edited, except taking off our home phone number (for obvious reasons), omitting personal identities when noted and the pictures included in the first email.

The October 4th email is where the "threat" supposedly happened. I invite you to read it again. If this email was so "threatening" that it was grounds for expulsion, then why was my family allowed to attend Open House after the "threat" was made? It just doesn't make sense.
2. The next bit of "evidence" is that my dad "trespassed into a private area and attempted to intimidate an Assistant Principal" at Loretto's Open House on October 16th. My dad talks about it here.

Obviously, it is my dad's word against the assistant principal's. However, Loretto's actions afterward further support my dad's statement. That day, there were police officers already on campus. If my dad truly was threatening and trespassed, it would have been common procedure to interview the alleged "intimidator." My dad was never interviewed. Also, my dad has volunteered on Thursday mornings before school for Loretto's TEAMS club (preparation for Stanford's Engineering, Math and Science contest) all of my freshman year and all of this past year up to two weeks after Open House. If my dad was intimidating, why was he allowed on campus with Loretto students? The only reasonable conclusion is that Loretto's administration knows that my dad did not threaten or intimidate anyone. Thus, this second reason for dismissal is also false.

3.The third piece of "evidence" was an email from my mom asking our family and friends for prayer. It is quoted fully in the letter, but you can also directly read the email of October 27th here.
Apparently, asking for prayer and capitalizing Catholic is "malicious," "slanders the reputation and integrity of Loretto High School" and is grounds for expulsion. If this sounds unbelievable, I suggest reading the dismissal letter again.

Also in the envelope were my grades from this year and last year. As you can see, I have been a straight-A student during my time at Loretto. I have never, in my life, been sent to the principal's office or have received a detention. (And here I am getting expelled.) Obviously, this expulsion is not about my grades or my behavior at school.
The behavior of this Sister Helen and her underlings is so blatently Foolable that I wonder why I don't just call them Reasonable. Sister Helen, in particular, made the least charitable interpretations of Mrs. Sills email after stone-walling her for several weeks and refusing to return phone calls. She made the identity of Loretto as a prep school for girls that goes along to get along more important than it's mission as a Catholic institution. She treated Mrs. Sills as an extremist simply because she witnesses the Church's teaching on the sanctity of Life. It's outrageous and scandalous.

The Bishop of Sacramento can certainly defend the well-being of his flock by closing Loretto and expelling these sisters from his jurisdiction. How many more Faithful families must suffer defamation, libel and slander for defending the Faith? How many more young woman must have their formations short-circuited by the Reasonable appeasement of religious that have lost their way?

I continue to pray for Katelyn Sills and her family. God bless them for their courageous witness. May they come to terms with whatever resolution happens to this sad scenario.