Monday, April 10, 2006

a voice from eden on Rendering Unto Caesar...

...the hard way! a voice from eden pontificates "on taxes for priests, and advice for seminarians"

Here's the money quote...literally:
And so this is the other part of that “hybrid”: priests not only file the Schedule C but are also considered self-employed when it comes to paying Social Security Taxes. That means we pay double....the whole 15.3% (the employer’s and the employee’s portion of Social Security Tax).

That’s a whopping tax folks!!!

But the big, hit-me-over-the-head-blow-to-the-cranium-until-I-fall-sideways-to-the-ground knuckle punch was when I learned that I also get taxed with this for living in the rectory! Yep, I pay Social Security on the fair rental value of this here parish house.

Cramped living quarters, little privacy, and I have to pay taxes for living here. I mean, that’s enough for me to run to the students at our seminary and shout “GET OUT!!!”
Don't laugh! You-re next!

And April 17th is just around the corner.

Ah, the joys and sorrows of citizenship! Personally, I'd feel a whole lot better about paying them if my government was a whole lot more responsible about spending them. I'm paying at least 30%--not including FICA(social security). And for my troubles? Among other things, I get to drive across some of the most pot-hole infested infrastructure in the country. This includes some trips across the most dangerous highway in the United States: I-95 in Richmond County, NY--otherwise known as the Cross-Bronx Expressway!

Of course, my family and I also live securely in our comfortable home, protected by the most powerful armed forces the world has ever known. So there you have it!

Vox, my friend, I have only two words for you: Turbo Tax!