Monday, May 02, 2005

Catholic Analysis on Holiness by Hubert Van Zeller

I agree with most of his case

I would add that, in defining holiness as submission to God's will, he does not go far enough. Holiness is the life lived in Faith, which is itself the gift we receive from God when we consent to his invitation offered through grace. Holiness, as a life lived in Faith, is also characterized by Charity, which together with faith foster Hope. In these three can one see the presence of the Holy Spirit at work in one's soul. Such a person can't help but radiate joy, peace and all the other fruits of the Spirit, as described by St. Paul.

When we submit to God's will, we're saying yes to a relationship with His Son, Jesus. It is in Jesus that we find the fullness of Holiness. Thus, we become the one whom Saint Paul says, "I live, not I, but Christ lives through me."