Thursday, May 05, 2005

The ever-inspiring Peggy Noonan on disclosure

"It is one case in which the sharing of personal information has struck me as a big step forward.

This is the demystification of illness, especially cancer"


My Grandmother's best friend, whom my mother called aunt Helen, died of cancer. She did not tell anyone when she discovered that she had it. She didn't want to "burden anyone".

I think that Peggy speaks straight Foolishness. She's exactly right. We do not live in those times when illness and sinfulness are considered one and the same. Nor should we live as though Thanatos sharpens his scythe whenever someone hears he or she has cancer.

For obvious reasons I'm grateful that Ms. Noonan wrote this column now. Let's take her advice. The life we save could be our own. Even better, it could be the ones we love the most