Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Wondering who to vote for in '08?

Southern Appeal and National Review have an idea:

Senator Sam Brownback!

He might throw his hat in the race in 2008:

John Hawkins: I understand. In 2008: Are we going to see Sam Brownback toss his hat into the ring for the presidency?

Sam Brownback: Well, I’m looking at it and I am considering it. No final decision has been made. My wife and I are talking about that. I’ve made some early trips into Iowa and New Hampshire, Michigan, and last year some travels around South Carolina. I haven’t been there this year and I’m considering it. It’s quite a challenge and so I’m taking time and looking at it quite carefully.


Why is he good news for Fools?

John Hawkins: If someone came up to you and said, “Sam Brownback, pick any three pieces of legislation you want, anything you want, to get them passed, what would they be?

Sam Brownback: My first would be on the life issue. We’d be getting legislation to protect young human life in the womb and from being researched on.

The second one, given the nature and the time that we’re in right now, would probably be that deficit reduction deal...that I mentioned to you. As to the rest of government we do need to get this budget balanced and get it centered back to where we need to get it.

And then there would probably be the decency legislation that’s pending now, increasing fines toward Hollywood, really trying to send a message into the culture that we need to clean up the culture.

I want to take back that one. I’d probably do a piece of immigration legislation instead of a decency one. I think that’s just a more important area -- the immigration. So it’d be a life, deficit reduction bill, and immigration.


He has some reasonable ideas on immigration reform, including this one:

John Hawkins: Now, would it be beneficial in your opinion to get it down by just simply making them citizens?

Sam Brownback: I don’t think anybody’s looking at that and I’m not familiar with individuals in the Republican party that are looking at a system like what President Reagan did, where he just granted a blanket amnesty. I think everybody is considering how to get people, particularly ones that are already here in the United States, into a legal system -- using a combination of getting the social security system and card to a point where it is verifiable and useable as an employer to be able to determine if somebody is a legal person -- sanctions on the company if they do know that this person is illegally here and still employs that person -- and then on top of that providing some sort of incentive to get into a worker system -- either getting a green card after working a number of years in the United States -- and the legalized system as an incentive to get people into that system.


Read the whole thing.