Monday, August 15, 2005

A Foolish Teacher on Roberts

Fools are everywhere. Even among teachers in Ohio. The Middletown Journal offers "My View: Questioning nominee Roberts’ Catholic beliefs wrong" as evidence.

The money quote:
If John Roberts had been a supporter of Planned Parenthood, the largest provider of abortion services and referrals in the nation, there would be accolades and applause for his nomination by the left and Democratic Party leadership. Amidst all of the thundering issues of our time, abortion of our children and being a practicing faithful Roman Catholic are the only real issues behind the opposition to his nomination to the Supreme Court. Shame on them!
Mike Mignery had actually wanted to run for office on the Democratic ticket. Even at the state level, however, the party required him to make a covenant with Moloch:
Several years ago, I looked into candidacy for county and statewide office within the Democratic Party and found that I could not receive any party financial help at the state and national levels unless I could publicly state that I was pro-choice, that is, to endorse the choice of killing babies or letting them live. Though this is not now a public party policy, it is an unwritten expectation at the state and national levels but not necessarily at all the local parties, such as in Butler County. Many of my discussions at the local level find the local parties and rank and file abhorring the pro-abortion zeal at the state and national levels. I left the party having no political home.
I don't know whether or not Mr. Mignery is Catholic, but he shares a Catholic's conundrum. As blogger and Apologist extraordinair Mark Shea has often said, the choice is often between the Evil Party (Democrats) and the Stupid Party (Republicans). Neither party will make a comfortable fit for Faithful Catholics. However, when it comes to Life issues, the Republicans generally are the only game in town. Unless you live in the Northeast or West Coast. Then, fuggettabattit! Politically, Catholics are homeless. Even if some try to make their home in one party or the other.

I relish my role as a swing voter. As an avowed non-party affiliated, independent voter, I'm part of the prized cohort. I can't vote in primaries, but every body wants me at crunchtime. Good! I like being able to push a viable candidate over the edge. I can't be bought by intra-party dealmaking. Just present your platform on the issues. If I think your's comes closer to fidelity to CST than the other one's, then you'll get my vote.

However, were I to seek public office beyond the local level, and were I faced with such a decision as Mr. Mignery, I'd find myself a republican or an independent. And how many more of me are out there, especially in the "Red States"? Can a political party truly afford to alienate so many potential members--and voters? Judging from their Congressional and gubenatorial record the last ten years, I'd say no.

The question is, are any of the Democrats saying the same?