Saturday, September 17, 2005

Personal Bleg

Anyone ever heard of this? Sound's cool! SageTV 2.2 Intro - SageTV 2.2 review - Music and video - CNET Reviews

See, I'm in the market for a Digital Video Recorder and/or a DVD player. Failing that, I'll take a simple DVD recorder. However, I found CNET's possible solution. It's technology that allows me to use my PC as a DVR:
Frey Technologies' SageTV, now in version 2.2, juggles more than its name suggests. Yes, the software lets you watch, pause, and record TV on your PC, but it also provides a single interface for accessing pictures, running DVD movies, and playing music files stored on your computer. If you've read our review of Microsoft's Media Center Edition 2005 (MCE 2005) OS, these capabilities should sound familiar. Unlike Microsoft's OS, which requires a purchase of a new Media Center PC, you can purchase SageTV in a number of ways to add DVR functionality to your current PC. We tested the $149.95 SageTV Single Tuner Bundle. It took a few e-mails to tech support to get up and running, but once the software was working, we liked what we saw. The interface is slick and easy to navigate, and the software/hardware bundles provide an affordable way to get media-center functionality if you don't have plans to junk your current PC.
Does this allow me to watch recorded programming on my TV? Or can I at least record TV to my computer and then burn DVDs? If anyone has had some experience with this, I'd sure appreciate the feedback! Comment below or email me.