Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Catholic Fire reviews The Chronicles of Narnia

Jean of Catholic Fire reviews The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.

Here's a taste!
I did not read the C.S. Lewis book prior to viewing the movie, so I cannot compare the two. I went to the movie knowing very little about it. However, I was instantly captivated by the beauty and the simplicity of this mystical tale. Rich in Christian symbolism, I was drawn deeply into the heart of this fable. It brings good news – a message of hope and love, Christian and family unity, strength obtained through grace and love for one another, courage and hope even in the darkest of times.

The character who really stood out in this movie was Lucy, played by Georgie Henley. Lucy is the youngest of the children and the first to discover the enchanted land of Narnia. To me, she was the most intriguing character because she seemed so genuine, so natural in her role. Watching these exceptionally talented children play out their roles, I was reminded of the children who played in The Sound of Music over half a century ago. I believe, like The Sound of Music, that this film will be a classic for many years to come.

Unlike the Lord of the Rings trilogy (which I enjoyed), Narnia is a softer, gentler version of the battle between good and evil. Although it does contain some scenes which might be frightening for young children, they are not nearly as harsh or combative as those in Lord of the Rings. Also, perhaps it is due to the gentle portrayal of the feelings of the girls in the movie, there seems to be more of an emphasis on love and compassion in this film.
Read the whole thing!