Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Seventh Age quotes Ben Stein on "Cultivating an Attitude of Gratitude"

Get the story here.

Gratitude is the necessary antidote to that occasion of sin that plagues us all. I'm talking about for granted. When we take our many blessings for granted, we don't see them as blessings anymore. Then we notice what our neighbor has. Then we want what our neighbor has. If we want it badly enought, then we're unhappy he has it and we don't. That it could be anything as material as the latest Fall fashions or automotive releases to anything as spiritual as his peace of mind.

When we're grateful, we're too busy saying "Thank you" for what we have to notice or care about what we lack. We experience a taste of that peace that the world can't give. In other words, we're happy. And we all know what joy is a fruit of, right?

I'm particularly vulnerable to ingratitude. Too often I stress about this or that. My wife moved my stuff. My students act like goof-balls too often. Traffic sucks. My cashflow is in too much trouble. Oh, I could go on and on. I need to be grateful for the many blessings I've received. My family is safe, healthy and happy. I enjoy many rewarding experiences working as a Special Education high school teacher. A lot of things go my way.

Perhaps today is the day to consistently live in gratitude. Imagine how such a day would end!