Thursday, November 17, 2005

Gratitude

Behold, a new meditation from your humble Fool!

I intend to post a gratitude blog. It's nothing too fancy. I'll simply offer up those things for which I'm grateful for on any given day.

Why?

Because ingratitude is a Cardinal Sin (or so says Gary Sinese as President Trumen!)

Because gratitude allows us to welcome the gifts God has poured into our lives.

Because gratitude redirects my attention from the absences I obsess over to the Presence I long for.

Because gratitude enlivens the heart, which then allows Charity to flow through unimpeded.

So, today, I am grateful: For enjoying the company of my collegues, even as we endure the lunacy of the bureacracy in which we all labor.

For seeing my son's sweet smile as he tells me, "It's Ok, Daddy." We had just sat down for dinner when he said, "Shoulders, Daddy!" I was to put him upon my shoulders and prance around my living and dining room, singing Never Smile at a Crocodile.

I told him, "After dinner."

That's when he delivered his adorable response!

For enjoying a session of the school's new Chess club. I played two students to stunning defeats. The second game I lost so much material that I couldn't stop his easy entrapment of my King. Oy! I'm grateful to see students so passionate and skilled about something.

Oh, I could go on, but this is good enough for a premier.

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for these great gifts an more this day.